Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 (KJV)
"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
a time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
a time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace"
Autumn is my favorite of the four seasons. At the beginning of autumn we still have the bright colorful flowers of summer along with the bursts of sunflower yellow, burnt orange and burgundy colored mums. As the season continues I love to see how each day the leaves on the trees turn from bright green to orange, yellow and red. Our rural mountain community looks like a beautiful oil painting by Thomas Kinkade. Communities begin hosting Harvest Festivals and Oktoberfest’s with hayrides, candy apples, pumpkin carving contests, and the sweet aroma of freshly baked pumpkin pies and hot apple cider fills the air.
Autumn is also a time when I ponder upon the above passages in Ecclesiastes. There is so much wisdom in those eight verses. I reflect upon these verses in reference to my own life.
- Do I “die” to my fleshly desires so I may “live” in Christ anew each day?
- Do I plant seeds of the fruit of the Spirit so others may reap the harvest?
- Do my actions tear down the work of the Lord or do I build up others with words of kindness?
- Do I help bind up the wounds of the brokenhearted?
- Do I weep when I see poverty, abuse, starvation and hopelessness in my own community?
- Do I mourn for the lost souls who need the Lord as their Savior?
- Do I find time to bring laughter in my life and rejoice in the joy of Lord?
- Do I dance with joy when a lost soul receives Christ as their Savior?
- Do I embrace the life the Lord has given me?
- Do I purge the things in my life that hinder my witness for Christ?
- Do I know when to “let go” and “let God” take over?
- Do I speak up for the “right” things and for those who cannot speak for themselves?
- Do I keep my mouth shut when I really want to lash out and hurt others as they have hurt me?
- Do I have a Christ-like love for others?
- Do I truly hate “sin” or do I tolerate “sin”?
- Do I have a conscious awareness that there is Spiritual Warfare going on trying to keep me from living for Christ?
- Do I seek a life in peace with others as well as share the Peace that passes all understanding?
Dear Heavenly Father, as I enjoy my favorite time of the year, I ask that you examine my heart and bring to my mind the things I need to confess so that I can be a better witness for you each day of my life. Lord, remind me that to everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven. In Jesus precious name, amen.