Monday, August 6, 2012
What NOT To Say....
I cannot tell you how many times I heard these "well intended" suggestions. Please indulge me for a moment as I reply to each of these:
1) "Maybe if you exercise or lose some weight" - First of all, Fibromyalgia is a no respecter of persons illness. One can be skinny or obese - Fibromyalgia knows no boundaries. Second, If losing weight was only that easy since so many of our medications promote weight gain. Third, yes, if I lose weight some of my pain may go away, but the doctors say I will still have the illness. Fourthly, Some exercise can help, but other can hinder - it's a gently balance.
2) "You don't look sick" - Not all illness is visible! Also, today may be a good day (which is why I'm out right now) and I'm wearing make-up too!
3) "My aunt had the same thing and now she's fine." Really? No too people with Fibromyalgia have the same symptoms nor the same reaction to treatments.
4) "Maybe you just need more rest" I love this one! If only it was that easy. Between the pain, neuropathy, and my bladder issues I'm lucky if I get any good/healthy sleep during any night. It doesn't matter if I sleep one hour or 24 hours - I still feel worse when I get up than when I went to bed!
5) "There is this supplement that cures your condition." Really? If so give it to me now!
6) "You just need to get out of the house more". Again, I wish it was that easy! If only you knew how difficult it is to just get up every morning and get dressed! If you only knew what a chore it is for me to get ready and get out of the house. When I do get out it will "zap" me so much that I will be in bed for days just to recoup. I would love to get our of the house more often! I want to get out of the house more often - just tell my body and mind to cooperate!
So if you know someone who has a chronic illness, please think twice before you speak. You have no idea how much we have to bite our lips in response. .